With winter fast approaching and homeowners starting up their heating systems and sealing up their homes, we will once again hear of illness or even worse due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
What many homeowners may not know, is that carbon monoxide detectors are now required in all residential homes. In fact they are required within 10 feet of every sleeping area.
Homeowners may also not know that the typical carbon monoxide detector purchased at the hardware store alarms at 77 parts per million (ppm) TOO LATE!
What does this mean to you?
We believe that every homeowner should have a low-level carbon monoxide detector. After much research, we found one that will show a reading of 5 ppm and alarm at 15 ppm. Below are some facts about carbon monoxide levels.
9 ppm Maximum allowable CO in living space for 8 hours (ASHRAE)*
15-30 ppm First level reported to have harmful effects (World Health Org)
50 ppm Maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure for 8 hours - Healthy adults – as recommended by OSHA in a work environment
70 ppm First level UL approved alarms must go off within 2-3 hours THIS IS TOO LATE!
*American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers
The new requirement can be confusing; what exactly does "within 10 feet of a sleeping area" mean?
Do I have to have one in each room, or will one outside a hallway within 10 feet of two bedroom doors meet the regulation for those two rooms?
We recommend every homeowner have at least one low level monitor in the house. I feel so strongly about this that I will be happy to speak directly to anyone who has a question or would like more information. From now through January 1, 2015 we are offering a special 15% discount off the price. Call us at 952-854-3800 and we will help you feel confident that your family is safe from Carbon Monoxide poisoning.